Thursday, February 12, 2009

Tier Tier Pants On Fire (at least to keep warm)

I spent last week out in Pennsylvania visiting some fiends and family. Needless to say, it was quite cold (lots of single digits) and there was more snow than I have seen in a long time. This meant lots of time spent inside.
In addition to enjoying some quality family time I had multiple evenings to spend with some tying materials, hooks, and a vise. I am pretty sure that I will be ready for my next coastal adventure as my boxes will be stocked with plenty of new patterns.


I wanted to highlight one of the flies that I have been working on. It is pretty much my interpretation of an Akroyd.

Recipe :

Hook: AJ 1.5 or 3/0
Thread: black 6/0
Tip: round or oval silver
Tag: orange silk
Top Tail: golden pheasant crest
Side Tails: golden pheasant tippets
Body: rear 2/3 orange seal or sub, front black silk, separated by orange ostrich
Rib: medium oval rear, medium pearl Mylar with small round silver front
Hackle: orange schlappen over the rear and blue eared pheasant over the front
Wing: orange goose shoulder with center strip of peacock secondary
Cheeks: jungle cock

I have been working on this one in multiple color combos.

More posts are on the way.

The tug is the drug.
Adrian