Saturday, March 28, 2009

The First Of The Late Ones

I had very limited Internet service (even cell service required a drive over the hill) over the balance of my time out in Montana so I will fill in a few blanks.

I did check out the the spring creek area outside of Livingston. There are actually three private areas along this stretch of water. I fished the lowest piece, DePuy's. They have about three miles of water on the property with a mixture of riffles, runs, and pools. This area is a trib of the Yellowstone river and boasts a healthy population of bows, browns, and cuts.


The weather did break on the day I fished and temps edged up into the mid 40's.
I fished hard through two stretches of the lower river in the morning and got two nice fish on small PT's. After lunch I moved up stream to check out some new water and spent at least an hour just watching three pairs of fish spawn in the section of creek that was off limits. It was good to see that they closed these sections down to keep folks off the reds and let the fish do their business.






I managed to get into a few more fish before stopping into the shop on the property. I picked up a few of the "hot local flies" and headed back down to the lower section for the evening.

I did see a few midges popping and some fish had their eyes focused toward the surface but all of the flies I picked up were nymphs so I decided to rig a dry dropper and try to sight cast to some working fish in the lower pools. My first few attempts were met with refusal so I switched up my dropper and the game turned in my favor. It was really cool to see the fish move a good three or four feet from behind a rock and have my dry dunk under.


It was a great day on a great piece of water.

The tug is the drug
Adrian