Thursday, March 12, 2009

Icy Guides In The Big Sky State

I fished a few runs on the Madison today and I now know why some call it a continuous riffle river. I drove past literally miles of riffles. The picture doesn't quite due it enough justice.


I have totally become spoiled by the weather in California over the past few years. It was 13 degrees when I jumped out of the truck and got suited up. A quick nip form the flask seemed to dull the sting in my fingers before getting into the water.

The water did not provide much in the way of relief and was actually my demise. As there was very little activity on the water (not even any midges flying about) I decided to swing some big ugly sculpin patterns. The below pattern is one of my favorites but a piece of rabbit with some flash would probalby work just as well (this one just has a little more soul).

About half way down the run I had a hard grab and my rod tip dipped deep into the water but no line peeled off the reel and the fish jerked to freedom. "What the hell?" ran quickly through my mind but upon closer inspection my reel had completely frozen and required a few hard pulls of the running line to free things up. I should have known as I was required to chip the ice out of my guides two times prior to the reel disaster.

The last picture is just in case you were unsure if there was any ice along the river.

Well I have another week and a half out here and things are looking up. The weather is about to break and they are expecting temps in the 40's and maybe even the 50's by mid week!!!

I also bumped into a Missoula local and he recommended checking out a spring creek on private ranch over near Livingston. It is Rainbow spawning season and the ranch has a good stretch of water they must travel through to get up to there gravel. So here I am held up in a motel in Livingston eagerly awaiting tomorrow.

The tug is the drug.
Adrian